I also figured that these cupcakes were not only for the Fourth and could be made anytime of the year so it didn’t matter when I posted the recipe! And some of you may be lucky enough to have other parties this weekend!
Anyhoo but now I have 65 more patriotic cupcake liners and a ton of red, white and blue sprinkles. Whatever my problem, not yours so on with the cupcakes!
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees, and line muffin pan with cupcake liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add in the egg, yogurt, and extract, mix with stand mixer or handheld mixer until combined. It may look kind of crumbly when mixed.
- Bring to a boil the butter and water in a small saucepan. After mixture has boiled, and continues to boil once removed from heat, slowly pour into thickened batter while mixing on low. Increase mixing speed until batter is smooth. Once smooth stop mixing.
- Using a large cookie dough scoop, divide batter equally amongst muffin pan (I was able to get 10 cupcakes). Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Place cupcakes on wire rack to cool almost completely and then glaze.
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk and butter just to a boil. Once it has just boiled, immediately remove from heat.
- Whisk boiling mixture into powdered sugar and extract.
- Let the glaze cool slightly to thicken. Then drizzle or spoon glaze over slightly warm cupcakes. You may need to gently shake the cupcakes side to side in order to spread the glaze.