Okay, okay I am so sorry, but that is no excuse for the fact that this past month has gone by like snap of the fingers (cue actual snap)! It has been a crazy busy month for me, in general it has been a weird summer. Anyone agree? It has just flown by and I am so not ready for it to end, well to help cope with our end of summer sadness-sniffle,sniffle- here is a delightfully delicate Swedish visiting cake. It has hints of lemon, almond and vanilla! This cake is the perfect accompaniment to breakfast or just to eat anytime, I chose the latter.
Swedish Visiting Cake
- 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter- melted and cooled, additional butter needed for pan
- 1 cup of sugar, plus additional to sprinkle on top
- zest of one lemon
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sliced almonds (whichever you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 350F, then butter a 9in round pan (you may use a seasoned cast iron skillet if you have one).
- Combine the sugar and lemon zest in a medium bowl, mix with your fingers until fragrant and the lemon zest is evenly distributed.
- Add the eggs one at a time, whisking until just combined after each addition.
- Stir in the flour, then fold in the melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth the top then sprinkle with almonds and sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, cake is done when the edges are golden brown and beginning to pull away from the pan.
Original Recipe from Bella Eats