In high school I took a German History, which was taught by one of my favorite teachers. He would always mention black forest cake so one day while looking at recipe I came across this recipe and knew instantly that I had to make the cookies as a gift for him!! He loved them and they have been a hit ever since!! These cookies will have you addicted, my chocoholic friend instantly fell in LOVE with these and often requests me to make them. There is no shortage of chocolate in these cookies, there is cocoa and melted chocolate in the batter, on top of that there are chocolate chips mixed in!
What really makes these cookies are the dried cherries, the better the quality the better the cookie.
Be careful to guard some for yourself, as other members of my household got to my stash before I was able to photograph them. So, please forgive the quality of the following photo.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 package (about 12 ounces) milk chocolate chunks
- 1 1/2 cups dried cherries